More than just a place to stay, the Hospital Hospitality House is a place where families and patients can lean on each other for the emotional support needed in a time of crisis. Volunteers play a vital role in this support. These individuals who give so selflessly of their time are to be commended for their concern for the welfare of those in need…truly a gift to families dealing with a medical crisis.
HHH is operated with the support of a large corps of dedicated volunteers; many have been involved since the house first opened. This group of concerned individuals and groups are vital to the operations of the staff. Hundreds of guests a day are assisted by volunteers in the registration process, given information about the House, their room and their stay, and various other tasks around the House. Most of all HHH volunteers offer reassurance in a warm and caring manner to people who arrive frightened, wearing and/or sick.
We treasure our volunteers, for their time, their talents and their unflagging commitment to our mission. We could not do what we do without them.
Volunteers provide 8,000 – 10,000 hours a year to help keep service quality high and staff numbers low. Their dedication has resulted in three Governors’ Awards for Volunteerism, one prestigious national community service award, and recognition of HHH by Richmond Magazine readers as one of Richmond’s top 20 charitable organizations.
Opportunities for Individuals
- Reception Desk – Assisting with guest registration and giving new arrivals tours of the House.
- Light Clerical Assistance – Answering telephone, filing.
- Mail Appeals – Assisting with addressing, stuffing, stamping and sealing envelopes.
- Staffing Fundraisers – Events include the SunTrust Fancy Hat Party, SAVOR, Gilbane Restaurant Walk and other events.
- Guest Support – Visiting with guests to provide friendly listening to people in medical crisis, running errands & grocery shopping for guests without transportation.
To become a volunteer either fill out the application below or contact Katie DeMaio, Volunteer Manager at 804-828-6901 or firstname.lastname@example.org!